Google
 

Monday, June 11, 2007

Manu Parashar



Zindagi lambi nahi, badi honi chahiye!


The length of your life is unimportant; what is important is its depth.

However, when I got to know the news of Manu passing away, I thought for a second, how great it would have been if only the reverse was true, if only the length of life is important - if only I could have enjoyed his company for a longer time. Then, fighting tears, I chided myself, this is probably the way he would have preferred it. He lived life kingsize, touching hearts in a myriad number of ways, lending a helping ear, offering a witty suggestion and inspiring ambition & igniting jealousy in equal measure. He did what was close to his heart and I dare say, lived without any regrets. He finished his dissertation in quick time, wrote a best-seller, completed another one, carried out a variety of academic research and lent his services as an innovation consultant. The one trait I admired in him the most was the infinite capacity he had to remain cool and keep others cool. What was endearing about him was how he looked active and full of beans all the time, despite an air of lazy countenance. I regretted not being able to see his body before cremation but I now doubt if I could stand seeing his lifeless body.

While our interactions were limited, our discussions were animated. I got to know him much better when I was reviewing the advance copy of his book - he was a good sport to tolerate my jibes about the title of the book and cribs about its contents; moreover, he was ready to get a publication outlet for my review! I was stumped as I had heard several stories about first-time authors and the size of their egos. I wondered momentarily if he was tolerating me as I was his senior student or if he was indulging me as I was a bit younger to him; and he made my day when he signed and gifted an author's copy of the book to me. Needless to say, it would be one of my most prized possessions for times to come. His actions inspired me to follow what my heart says. I had, for a long time, thought of starting a blog but put it off on one pretext or other. Today, finally, with this post on Manu, I start my blogging life. I humbly dedicate this blog to Manu Parashar and pray to the Almighty to give me and his other near and dear ones, the strength to tide over his physical demise.




© Author. All rights reserved.

14 comments:

గిరి Giri said...

That's very sad.

How did it happen?

admin@greatindianwealth.com said...

This is indeed a

admin@greatindianwealth.com said...

This is indeed a significant loss to family and nation too. Its sad...

May Manu's sole rest in peace.

Sanjeev Garuda said...

Hi gunta.....was very shocked and saddened to hear the news last week. i just pray and hope his family have the strength and courage to tide over this tough time....

~garuda

Unknown said...

Hi Srinivas

We met at the Academy conference in Atlanta. I was a friend of Manu's. Worked with him at Cadburys. Your tribute does a great job of capturing his spirit, as I remember him. Could you elaborate a bit on how this happened?

Ravi

Feather in the breeze said...

Hi Ravi,

Manu also had a paper accepted for the Academy conference this year and was looking forward to the AoM experience.

From what I understand, Manu passed away due to natural causes. He was having multiple ailments such as liver problem (acidity), asthma and sinusitis - though none seemed to be fatal. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him but advised him to put on weight as he was losing lot of weight in the last 1-2 months.

Leela Plays said...

Manu was a friend and I was shocked to hear about his passing away. I feel bad when I think that I hadn't met him for some time before his death.

Manu loved to quote Ghalib and he was fond of quoting one that he wished to be drowned in a river so that there would be no grave for his friends to weep over or his enemies to throw insults at. He succeeded in that because most of his friends would not have got the chance to say good bye.

It is only fair to Manu that I also quote Ghalib on him "yih masāʾil-e taṣavvuf yih tirā bayān ġhālib tujhe ham valī samajhte jo nah bādah-ḳhvār hotā" translated quite nicely as "We could accept you a saint, O Ghalib, but for your drink addiction, How well you explain mystic edicts, how well you postulate". Manu always had answers for everything & everyone.

And my favorite for him "hazaaroN KHwahishaiN 'eisee ke har KHwahish pe dam nikle, bahot nikle mere armaaN lekin fir bhee kam nikle". That will always be Manu. Hazaaron khwahishain, so many more than anyone else. Many of his dreams came true, again many more than others - he was a corporate honcho, he wrote a book, he presented papers, he studied further, he wrote poetry, he travelled.

And yet, for Manu, all this was not enough. His thirst for life was incredible and I pray that somewhere he is at peace. Because that's what he wanted more than anything else. God bless.

Unknown said...

Hi Seenu,

Its great to see you blogging ... Nice post ... by wat you said ... I feel that you miss him a lot ... Keep blogging ...


Saikiran.

Rajesh Ivaturi said...

This surely was a shocking news that i got...i was with Manu at Saralee i was a bachelor and he was a forced bachelor those days... We had spent a lot of time together at Godrej colony...drink...listen to ghalib....play cricket...talk about gals and life in general...go out for dinners...watch a movie at I max and make it a point to pee by the road side on our way back to godrej colony.

"khulle mein susu karne ka maza hi kuch aur hai"...i agreed

he was a great friend...being a senoir a great advisor about corporate world..women, music and life in general

What was amazing about him was his breadth of knowledge and interests and unlike many of us he was one of those who used to pursue those interests...i remember on one occassion he took a week off to paint the landscapes in south mumbaii...he wanted to take another week off to take the pictures of all the old churches in Mumbai...i guess he lost interest on that one after a while..as he did on painting too i guess

I remember the exotic tea varieties he had bought and would insist that i taste them and when i'd say...boss hum desi aadmi hai humko adrak waali chai hi samajh mein aati hai...he used to frown..."saala tumlogon ka na kuch nahi hosakta"

Also remember the days when he used to come to my house...say "daaru pila yaar...gana chalade" he used to swing on the jhoola...say nothing..and suddenly say mai jaa raha hoon...

At times i thought i knew him very well and at others i felt i dont know him at all...

I remember this gal who used to say .."i would like to marry someone like him"....i can see manu nodding his head with a mischevious smile "she was not the only one...."

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan said...

You're right, Srinivas, everyone who knew Manu will feel the loss of a bright, cheerful and modest friend. He accomplished a lot in his short life, but he was always self deprecating and humourous about his achievements. We at Management Review really looked forward to seeing him at our office, where he was a frequent visitor. He would drop in to pick up a book for review, or his contributor's copy of the journal (and in the last year or two, there was always something he had contributed), and entertain us with some interesting bit of news, a story or a joke. Sadly, his intellectual energy seems to have been much greater than his physical energy. It is a terrible tragedy, and only time can help his family to come to terms with the loss. He was so proud of his wife and her accomplishments, and would keep telling us how smart she was. I hope she knows and takes some consolation from that.

Anonymous said...

Very touching post. You are lucky that he left with you not only with his memories, but also a material object.

Who am I said...

Are you guys talking about the Manu Parashar who studied Physics(H) at Kirori Mal College (Delhi University) and then went to IIM -- his wife's name is Prachi (nee Bhatnagar)?

Prachi and I were friends when Manu and Prachi were dating, but I have lost touch with her since then.

If he is the same Manu, I am shocked! If anyone has her email id, please let me know - I would very much like to get in touch with her.

Class of 1994 - KMWomen

Feather in the breeze said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deepak said...

My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.